25.8.09

Tiger Lily


Made de Coney is the name behind Bali fashion label Lily Jean

What’s your name?
Made de Coney

What do you do?
I’m the designer of Lily Jean

Do you love it?
Yes!

Where were you born and how did you grow up?
I was born in Bali. I lived most of my life between Bali and Brazil… I studied fashion in the US and moved back to live in Bali permanently in 2000.

If you didn’t do what you’re doing, what would you do?
I would probably be working in the fashion industry; I suppose as a stylist or managing shops… which is what I did to pay for my studies…

What’s the worst thing about the fashion business?
Greed and envy.

What’s the best?
The creative part. To make your vision materialize itself. The whole process of making materials, colours, finishings etc… and last but not least, seeing people wearing the product of your imagination.

What would you define as a classic Lily Jean style?
Timeless, classic and sexy.

How did you come up with the name?
My daughter’s name is Lily Jean. I named her after my two grandmothers. When I decided to create a label, I thought it was the perfect name for a fashion line.

And there times when you think, to hell with the expense. I could use a cheaper fabric but I’m going with this expensive cloth instead?
Of course, always! We prioritize quality all around.

What’s your favourite material?
Tencil and all types of silk and all mixtures of rayon.

How many countries are you in, as a business?
We’re in twelve countries.

How important are the Bali boutiques to your business?
Very important. They are the door to the rest of the world for me. From my shops I showcase my product, the feeling and the look.

Do you have a fashion icon? A model, a singer during a certain period… who you think, yes, that’s us, that’s Lily Jean.
I’m inspired by many people: my grandmother, by Audrey Hepburn, Karl Lagerfeld, Madonna, and many more.

What’s the worst fashion faux pas, in your opinion?
A lack of creativity and sense of style.

How important is it for you to be seen out on the town?
Most people don’t know I’m Lily Jean. I like the label to stand for itself. I think it’s important for the image of Lily Jean to be out there, by using marketing tools.

Is Lily Jean going to places, as a brand?
We’re expanding every year, at a healthy rate.

What’s your most precious item of clothing, or most beloved accessory?
An antique belt my father gave me when I was 16. And Jimmy Choos…

Have you ever thought, I’ve had enough of the competition, the egos and the crap that many people say goes with the rag trade, and just decided to say, sod it, I’m going to do something else for a living?
No, I think every industry has its futilities, it’s just part of the game.

When was the last time you thought, my life is fantastic, I wouldn’t change it for the world?
Every day!

Are you religious? Do you believe in reincarnation?
That’s every person’s individual search.

If we asked your friends to sum you up in there or four words, what would those words be?
I don’t know, you must as my friends!

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
What you give is what you get. Payback is a bitch.

How can fashion make the world a better place?
It can’t make the world a better place but it can make an individual feel better for a moment in time in this crazy world we live in.

I need to wear something fab for a party tomorrow night. What should it be?
One of our elastic dresses…

2 comments:

yenni 'yendoel' said...

great..hope your business can grow bigger each day. btw, are you indonesian or not? understand bahasa indonesia or not?

iStyle Magazine said...

Yes, I'm Indonesian ^^!